The more I learn of the Pi the more intrigued I become. This single board micro-computer has myriad applications, including enabling you to automate home projects. As I incorporate the Raspberry Pi into my projects, I wanted a functional case that enabled easy access to all ports and controlling pins.
Google images provided a diagram of the Pi with measurements that I cross referenced with the Pi I had in front of me. All of the 3D design was done with the use of Spaceclaim software.
The base of the case was printed in VisiJet SL Black using the ProJet 6000. The ProJet 6000 allows for a high resolution part due to the precision of a ultraviolet laser that cures the liquid plastic into the desired form.
I wanted the lid to be transparent so it was printed on the ProJet 3500 HD MAX. The ProJet 3500 prints in a UV curable plastic with white melt away wax as the support material. Although it wasn’t needed for this project, this printer is great for prints that require movable parts such as axles, gears, levers, ect. The lid did need some post processing after it was printed in order to get it to become clear.
After the wax was removed I began sanding the lid finer and finer, starting with dry 600 grit sand paper.
Then worked my way up to wet sanding with somewhere in the 1500-2500 grit range sand paper.
After sanding with 2500 grit, I polished the lid with a paper towel and polishing compound. The end result is a crystal clear lid.
I also wet sanded the base in order to get at smoother finish.
The case came out better then I could have hoped for. All of the cut outs lined up perfectly and it looks great.
I was so pleased with the end result that I decided to print a second case. Since I was printing a second case I made a few adjustments before hitting print. A cooling vent was added to the bottom of the case to allow for heat from the Pi to be dissipated and I extended the framing around the USB ports that were offset.
Designing this case was a lot of fun and I couldn’t be happier with the finished product. This case will definitely protect my Raspberry Pi and allow me to easily wire and rewire projects as I explore the functions of the Pi.